Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:15:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ken Brownfield <kenb@irridia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O crushes Ethernet I/O (3.0R)

Karl Pielorz:
|Ken:
|> During periods of disk activity (copying a large file, etc.) all
|> network traffic virtually comes to a halt.  If I run the cp during
|> an FTP file transfer, my network transfer rate is dropped by about
|> 80%.  Other network services suffer the same massive packet
|> deprivation.
|
|Are you using DMA with the IDE drive? (and are you _sure_ your using DMA with
|the IDE drive? :)

Do you mean within the mobo BIOS, or an "optional" kernel option?  If the
former, I'm pretty sure it's cranked up.  If the latter, I don't know.
(Where's a good place to get flags info for the wd driver?)

But I'll verify that, thanks.

|I have a similar setup here (Dual P-Pro, 256Mb RAM, fxp0, IDE + SCSI). The IDE
|drives suck, even with DMA etc. - they're no match for 'decent' SCSI drives
|(but they are cheap). They're OK for 'straight line speed', but I find for
[...]

Yes, I'm a SCSI zealot myself, but even given IDE it shouldn't completely
crush network throughput -- it doesn't hurt other operating systems at
all...

If the 3.1R upgrade and IRQ/BIOS tweaking doesn't solve it, I'll probably
upgrade to SCSI.

Thanks for the help, and any help anyone else can offer,
--
Ken.
kenb@irridia.com