Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:55:50 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        thivars@est.is
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X.25 -> AX.25 ?

Thordur Ivarsson writes:

> AX.25 is modified version of X.25 protocol, it implements some hardware
> controlling mecanism, addressing based on callsign, digipeating, and
> more to use radios in stead of cables.
>
> There was some AX.25 code floating around here somewhere, I should have
> copy somewhere, if someone asks.

ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet for starters.

One of the TNOS releases in
ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/tnos cleanly compiles and runs
under FreeBSD. I know because I provided the patches. But to really
make it work one would like a SL/IP or PPP link thru a pty pair to the
kernel. Never got that far without going out one real serial port and
back in another. I decided there were other things I'd rather do.

Lately the author of TNOS has decided to attempt a real life and has
abandoned further development. http://www.lantz.com

JNOS is another AX.25 package. The archive at ftp.ucsd.edu appears to
be quite old.

Both JNOS and TNOS trace their roots to the orginal KA9Q NET code,
which was later the KA9Q NOS code.

Alan Cox has been most active in supporting AX.25 in the Linux kernel.

This is amusing:
ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/bsd/386bsd.txt

ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/bsd/386bsd_encap.txt says:
386bsd_encap is the FreeBSD 1.0 RELEASE (GENERICAH) kernel compiled
with vk1xwt's version 1.3 encap network interface.  bob@ke9yq.ampr.org

ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/bsd/ham-bsd.txt is an
announcement from Brian Kantor of partial support for AX.25 in
386BSD-0.1.