Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:25:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRIX 6.5.4 NFS v3 TCP client + FreeBSD server = bewm

:Yes, we do.  I've run into this problem elsewhere but a quick fix was needed
:so it just got hacked.  NT NFS clients tend to trigger it too.
:
:The problem is that the sanity check is a fair way away from where the problem
:packet is generated.  The bad reply is generated in the readdirplus routine,
:gets replied (without checking) and cached.  The client drops the (oversize)
:packet, resends, and the nfsd replies from the cache and this time hits
:the sanity check and panics.
:
:...
:
:I will have another look shortly.  Anyway, the clue is that the server
:readdirplus routine is the apparent culprit.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter

    This makes a lot of sense.  A report of du causing the panic, and
    the good possibility that readdirplus is caching an oversized response
    packet.  Tell me what you come up with!  I'll take a crack at it if you
    don't find anything.

						-Matt