Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:14:29 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

Gary writes:

> All Triniton (ie, Sony) monitors used to have two
> horizontal row of reduced-brightness pixels dividing
> the screen into thirds.

That depends on the size of the monitor.  Smaller monitors have one wire; larger
monitors (17" or more) have two wires.  Monitors above 21" have three wires.

The shadow cast by the wires is actually much smaller than a pixel in height
(and much thinner than even one strip of the phosphor triads), as careful
examination of the display will reveal.  It is possible to distinguish
individual pixels clearly even when they are resting right over the wire.
However, the shadow of the wire is still perceptible if one looks for it.

> They were said to be the result of electron-beam
> shadows from wires which kept the shadow mask
> against the screen.

Trinitron CRTs use an aperture grille, not a shadow mask.  The grille uses thin
wires stretched taught and oriented vertically to direct three electron beams
(or one beam split into three) to the correct vertical phosphor stripes.  The
horizontal wires are intended to keep the grille from resonating, which would
produce color artifacts on the display.

> I've never understood why so many people were
> willing to accept such a design flaw in monitors
> for which they usually pay a premium price.

How do you suggest that the grille be stabilized, then?

> Actually, I suppose most people like their bright
> colors more than they dislike their lines.

Trinitrons are superior in virtually every other way to conventional shadow-mask
tubes, in my experience.

> In any event, look at your monitor carefully
> before buying it, with a variety of screen content.

Yes, although any Trinitron-like monitor (the patents have expired, so anyone
can build them now, even if they can't call them Trinitrons) is likely to show
these horizontal lines.