Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:43:50 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "secure" file flag?

--FZIkiClxIZ9JeWSb

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:41:05PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
+> > If this operation is able to fail (and of course it is) it should block
+> > on unlink(2).
+>=20
+> FreeBSD is not DOS; unlink(2) does not actually remove the file.  It
+> is removed by the filesystem if the link count is zero when the vnode
+> is released, which may be immediately after the unlink(2) call, or an
+> indefinite amount of time later if the file was open at the time.

I'm aware of this, but what we want to think over here is something like
in-kernel 'rm -P'. So file will be overwriten even if it is opened
and/or link count is grater than 0. That's why allowing link(2) operation
for such files don't make much sens (the problem exists when there
are hardlinks before "secure" flag is set).

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel@dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net