Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:17:17 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail server question

> I need to set up a outbound only mail server for use at work. I have
> a fbsd4.2 box set up with apache/php/mysql, it has internet access,
> with access on port 8080 only. I also have a *ugh*IIS box set up to
> receive requests on port 80. The IIS box runs the e-commerce site,
> so it needs to be able to send auto-response emails to the person
> making purchases, and certain people inside the company. Both boxes
> are accessing the internet through the same router/firewall/nat box
> (cisco), and one ipaddress, whence the two port calls.
>
> I know nothing about setting up an email server, would like to do it
> on the fbsd box.
>
> - Do I need to register a mail domain with the DNS?

I'm not sure what a "mail domain" is.  An MX record?  Those don't
matter except for *receiving* mail.

> - Which mta would be the easiest/quickest to get up and running? I
> know send mail is available by default, but have heard it is
> probably the most complicated.

Sendmail has its fans, but I'm not one of them.  I've heard qmail and
Postfix are both reasonably easy to set up.  I use qmail and have had
a good experience.  (Just be sure and *read* the documentation it
comes with, even though you won't understand much of it on the first
go-round; it will take 30 minutes and pay huge dividends.)

> - Once again, this would be for outbound mail only, I would like to
> block it from recieving incoming mail if possible.

This isn't a problem.  Just don't forward port 25 from your NAT box.
That way, the only computers that can send mail to your SMTP daemon
will be your internal boxes.  Set up the FreeBSD box so it allows
relaying from the Losedows machine and you're set.

Lucas