Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 95 13:25 MSZ
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw and socks again

In pcs.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hi,
>  I was under the impression that if I am to use sockd on FreeBSD as
>a firewall machine, I should have all other machines on behind it
>have the IP_FORWARDING off, except the firewall machine itself should
>haveIP_FORWARDING on, is this correct ? Is this also correct with the
>kernel ipfw ?

No, the other way around. *Only* the firewall with it's at least two
interfaces is supposed to have ip forwarding turned *off* (or the
ipfw configured to something similar, like blocking most traffic between
the interface on the inside and that on the outside).

IP forwarding on means that ip packets coming in on one interface that
have a route to another one will actually get passed there - basically
what having the machine be a router is all about. If you turn it off,
the firewall will not be able to route, exactly what all the firewall
stuff is about.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org