Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:02:42 -0700
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shell line parse needed

Thanks to help from here I have MRTG setup on a 4.7 server, but now I
need help with parsing console info.  I want a script to report CPU
utilization by a specific process.  When I type this:

top | grep hlds

it gives me:

60905 root        10   0 54960K 49736K nanslp   1:26  0.00%  0.00% hlds

What I need is to get the last whole number before hlds, which should be
cpu utilization.  For instance, if the line was:

60905 root        10   0 54960K 49736K nanslp   1:26  4.61%  5.23% hlds

I would need the script to report:

5

If no matching process is found, it should report 0.

I was thinking of writing a C prog for this since that is the language I
can use, but I am certain this could be a very small shell script.

Thanks in advance.

-Derrick