Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:40:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        -=ArkanoiD=- <ark@eltex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.intes.odessa.ua/vxe

Have you looked at the TIS Labs Wrappers toolkit?  It allows you to
specify custom policies for processes based on syscall masks and argument
management.  It's been a while since I've looked at this work, but my
understanding is you can specify general policies to manage processes,
quite effectively.

Also, the jail() environment provides far more extensive (almost) virtual
machine protection for chroot() processes, and is available in -CURRENT.

Shortly, capability and ACL extensions will be available providing
similar fine-grained access control support on FreeBSD, allowing you to
eliminate concentrations of privileges (such as uid 0 having no extra
privileges).

Syscall mask mechanisms such as the one you pointed us to can work, but
are in some sense a hack -- given the vast number of ways to potentially
attack such a mechanism, you'd have to be very careful.

Robert Watson

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, -=ArkanoiD=- wrote:

> Linux only for now, but not a bad idea..

  Robert N M Watson