Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 13:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        tetragon@cyber.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NFS question..

You can give a list of directories to be exported, but all directories for a
filesystem must be on the same line (because it's really just a property of the
filesystem are exporting that only certain directories can be exported).
Here's an excerpt from my server's /etc/exports that might help:

/usr \
 /usr/source/src \
 /usr/obj \
 /usr/source/ports \
 /usr/source/doc        -maproot=0      foo

All of these directories are in the filesystem /usr, and the computer foo can
only mount /usr, /usr/source/src, /usr/obj, /usr/source/ports, and
/usr/source/doc.  It can't mount anything else in the /usr filesystem. HTH.

On 08-May-99 Gavan McCormack wrote:

> Sorry if this is not apropos for STABLE.
>
> I am running 3.1-STABLE, and wish to NFS export the _directory_ /usr/home.
>
> Currently, my /var and /usr are directories under /, I dont have a seperate
> /usr partition. I want to export /usr/home, but do NOT want to have to
> export /.
>
> According to my 4.4BSD SMM "...the kernel information is stored on a per
> local file system mount point and client host address basis and cannot
> refer to individiual directories within the local server filesystem."
>
> THis makes sense. I can export /, but not /usr/home. With the -alldirs in
> the exports line I can mount only /usr/home on the remote machine, but there
> is nothing to stop anyone with appropriate permissions on the remote host
> to mount / and go through my filesystem.
>
> Has this been changed in FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE? Or do I have to live with only
> being able to export whole filesystems?
> --

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/