Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:56:57 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Erik Gault <e@gaultopia.org>
Cc:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Coordinator?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:57:56AM -0400, Erik Gault wrote:

> 3) Approve/deny requests for new "official" mirrors.  Most of the time
> people offering to become a new mirror send an email to hubs@ explaining
> their connectivity and server and ending with something along the lines
> of, "would this be useful?"  The Mirror Coordinator would actually be able
> to give them an educated answer to that question: "yes, a new US mirror on
> that AS would be useful", or "no thank you, there are already several very
> lightly loaded mirrors in that same country and another one will probably
> serve little purpose".  The dnsadm's for the various cc's will know that
> requests for names for new official mirrors will only come from the Mirror
> Coordinator already approved.

Just a quick "For what it's worth".  Based on the discussion that got
us this far I thought we decided that was something the local admins
would decide on themselves.  I thought it was one of the perks of taking
on being a local admin. :-)  The rest of Erik's thoughts were great.
I'm not saying this thought is bad but I did think it was one of the
things that was brought up as being why delegation was a good thing.

IMO we shouldn't discuss this point too much now - I think it could be
one of the "hot topics".  If I do the draft the first pass will say
that if you're going to take on the DNS for your country code then
you also take on the responsibility of the ftp*.CC.freebsd.org
site coordination including deciding on how many, etc.  You'd need
to report it to the Mirror Coordinator but only because one of the
things that job would involve is, as Erik said, maintaining the
mirror site list on the Web site, hopefully making sure that what's
in /stand/sysinstall isn't too far out of line with reality, etc.
We can discuss the details next week but I thought this model was
what the previous discussion led to.

The Mirror Site Coordinator would be who does the above tasks for
zones that do not want to (or can't) handle DNS for themselves, which
is one of the reasons I wanted to re-try this idea of having a Mirror
Site Coordinator.  It's also why I keep trying to stress Coordinator
and not Manager.  I'm trying to keep flexibility for the zones that
do wind up delegated.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu