Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 11:30:16 +0200
From:      Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.fr>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time and jdk 1.1.7

> A quick search of the archive turned up one reference to the TimeZone
> class being
> broken, so... Is there a workaround or a fix available?  I'd class this
> as more
> an annoyance than anything.  The interesting thing is that the author
> reports that
> setting TZ to PDT works fine on a 2.2.8-R system.

This is a known problem with jdk 1.1 on all platforms : see
http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4069784.html

Here is the workaround for me, living in France. My system TZ is CEST under
FreeBSD and "MET DST" under Solaris. i've aliased java to "java
-Duser.timezone=ECT", and put that in all my scripts. This made all my date
handling work much better ! :-) Take a look at the sources in java.util.*
to get an appropriate value for your own time zone ...

If you take a look at the duplicate bugs, you'll see that most developpers
call that a "nightmare", and that the javasoft guys sounds much like
Microsoft's : "it's a feature" :-)