Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:08:10 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   rcNG rollout in -current

Nik Clayton wrote:

> Hmm.  When is the existing /etc/rc* system going to be officially
> deprecated?  Has anyone thought about that?  At the moment it sounds
> like 5.x is going to ship with the new system, and without the old one.

Yes, the reasoning is that since the goal is to have the new stuff doing
exactly what the old stuff does, there's no reason not to just get it
over with. Our current goal is the following:

By DP2:		Make rc_ng="YES" the default
By 5.0-RELEASE:	Complete cutover

Our feeling is that the leap to 5.0 will already have a sufficiently
large number of things to worry about that adding one more shouldn't be
a problem. :) Or at least, this problem should be lost in the noise
since rc.conf[.local] won't be any more incompatible due to the rcng
stuff than it would have been in -current anyway.

Doug