Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:03:16 +0100
From:      Bill Squire <billsf@curacao.n2it.nl>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shaky support or my system?

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:40:18AM +0100, Janne Johansson wrote:

Run 'memtest' which is a small standalone program to test your memory in
patterns you choose. I used it from a Gentoo install CD but it does fit
on a floppy if anyone uses the things anymore. (Maybe the 64bit version
is different, but i don't why it would be.)

If you can produce any errors, either replace the offending module or reduce
the memory clock speed slightly.

Adjust the voltage to the memory slightly, up or down by about a tenth of
a volt each run and see if you can produce a repeatable no-error condition.

Experiment with reducing the memory clock speed and increasing the processor
clock speed. This can be tweaked to achieve complete stability. You will
probably find the optimum operating points are __not__ the defaults. The
amd64 is completely stable and should not crash randomly.

Keep in mind that each run can take several hours so start with the default
test first which takes a reasonable time to run and make it more complex if
you cannot get errors with the default settings.

Ofcourse, make sure your hardware is solid and the voltages are stable. If
you are on the same power with fridges, vacuum cleaners, wash machines, etc.
try cleaner mains power! Strong RF energy can crash a computer. A friend
put his GSM mobile phone on my keyboard, it happened to ring and the machine
crashed. This is a well known problem.

Good luck,

Bill