Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:19:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl 7.6 & tk 4.2

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I think as soon as the new version 8.0 gets to release level, then you'll
>  * see an upgrade, but not before that.  I don't think it'll be too long, but
>  * at least a month or two.
>
> No, there will NOT be an upgrade, at least in the ports tree.
> (/usr/src is a different matter, of course.)  These ports, if they
> were to be put in the ports tree, will go in different directories
> (tcl8 and tk8).

That's what I meant.

> I believe Jordan (jkh@freebsd.org) is now working exclusively on
> modifying his submitted tcl/tk-8.0 ports to make them co-exist with
> default ones.

I wish him luck, but I'd not ever want that to happen.  Other packages
that want tcl/tk go about findling the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh, and
they always assume that the first one they find is the only one.  Putting
in two sets of these files would mean that one would be taken over the
other.  Making sure that the shared libs resulting don't interfere would
mean that they'd have to have non-standard names, so that ld.so could find
the right one.  While it's possible, it means a lot of added problems for
the person who just wants to have one lib, the latest release level, to be
installed and to work right.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I am saying that what would be
required to do it wouldn't be a pretty picture.

> Satoshi

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |