Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:03:05 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WEP/DHCP Problems

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:39 pm, Chris BeHanna wrote:
>     I'm running an HP OmniBook 4150B with 4.7-STABLE on it (about two
> weeks old sources or so).  I have a Linksys WPC11, revision 3 802.11b
> card which gets along just fine with my Linksys 802.11g AP, using
> 64-bit WEP.
>
>     The office is another story.  I've checked and checked and checked
> the WEP key (different key, also 64-bit), and although dstumbler can
> report signal strengths, and the card associates with the AP, *and*
> tcpdump shows all the layer 2 and 3 traffic you could want, dhclient
> cannot acquire an address for it.
>
>     The office APs are made by Agere Systems (Lucent internals), and
> other users with Linksys WPC11's can connect just fine.

    For the archives:  flashing the WPC11's firmware up to revision
1.4.9 (reported in dmesg as 1.04.09) fixed the problem.

    Incidentally, I also found that an Orinoco silver at firmware
revision 6.04 will not speak with a Linksys WAP54G, but flashing
the Orinoco to the (current) firmware revision of 8.10.0 fixed
that problem, too.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant