Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:12:57 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        drew-dated-1038529607.6fb7a6@poured.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail queues on softdep (was Re: Sharing calendars?)

Drew Raines wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > Drew Raines wrote:
> >>
> >> By ``that'' filesystem, he means /var/qmail/queue.  You can keep
> >> everything else on a vanilla FFS partition.  It's the same
> >> recommendation for any mail queue whose contents you care about.
> >
> > Why are soft updates bad for mail queues, in your opinions?
>
> My opinions aren't authoritative because I've never (knowingly)
> experienced it, but apparently a message could be lost if it's
> accepted by the MTA and there's a system failure before the
> metadata gets written to the disk.

OK.  I understand.

The answer is that sendmail will fsync the files, so it's not a
probleem, before before giving the "250 Accepted for delivery",
since that response means that the data has been committed to
stable storage, and your system accepts complete responsibility
for its reliable delivery.

> This could happen with sync, too, I guess, but the latency is
> increased with soft updates.  There might be characteristics of
> qmail's queue which causes it to be more susceptible than others,
> but the logic seems to apply to all.

Yes, it would have to be qmail not making the system call needed
to commit the data to stable storage, before giving the "250"
back to the sending system.

Technically, qmail is in violation of the RFC, if indeed this is
a problem.

-- Terry