Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:15:15 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Display locked when X server dies

This problem seems to exist from as long as a month or two ago to
today's -current. If the X display is on the current virtual
console, the X server dying results in the display locking up.
The server does exit, but the display is frozen. C-A-BS doesn't work
because the X server is no longer active. C-A-Fx and A-Fx don't work,
nor does A-Fx.

Killing the X server from a regular vty works fine. Try
this:

vty$ startx
vty$ kill -9 [pid of X server]
---
vty$ startx
xterm$ kill -9 [pid of X server]

The first example works fine, the X server exits as expected. In the
second form, you'll see your X session freeze. Please post your
results, as I'd like to know if this is a problem in -current or
just something wrong here (did make world and built a fresh kernel
with make clean; make; make install today. rebuilt XFree86 yesterday).
It's XFree86-3.3.2 from the ports.
--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  /  "My problems start when the smarter bears