Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:11:03 -0700
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        Alexey Koptsevich <alex@astro.su.se>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reliable HDD brand

Of course, there will be a kazillion opinions, but I have been using
Maxtor drives with good success.

On their web page, they have a utility that will let you turn on
IDE write verify, which gives you a little extra layer of securiyt,
and it seems to work well.

I use it, and I don't notice the performance problem, and the peace of
mind is worth it.

I have 16 IBM 76GB drives in a raid array, and I am very unhappy
with them, but it turns out it may be my 3ware card instead, which
just got RMA'd to 3ware for some problem.