Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 20:36:44 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLAB stuff, and applications to current net code (fwd)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:

> Can anyone inform me what a SLAB allocator is, and if so, would freebsd
> benefit from one?

It's a chunk of memory that you put multiple kernel objects of the same
type into.  We have a modified mach zone allocator.  They're both type
stable memory allocators.

Maybe John or David will explain how our allocator differs from the
original zone allocator in 4.4BSD borrowed from Mach.

I not sure how much benefit the SLAB allocator would offer over what we
have.  There's some extra overhead in maintaining a SLAB.

BTW, SLAB is used in Solaris.

Regards,

Mike Hancock