Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 08:29:41 +0900 (JST)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH fails for user, but succeeds for root

  I fail to connect using SSH as my usual login (mrc) but succeed when
I su to root.  This is puzzling to me.  I have looked in the mail archives,
and read the handbook, and am stumped.  I have examined the files in
  /root/.ssh
and
  /home/mrc/.ssh
and do not see why it would fail for 'mrc' but succeed for 'root'.

  Any ideas or suggestions?

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat

Reference (snips from screen):
FAIL AS MRC:
------------
bash-2.3$ ssh mrc-tiger.chipchat.com
ssh: no RSA support in libssl and libcrypto.  See ssl(8).
Disabling protocol version 1
Protocol major versions differ: 2 vs. 1
bash-2.3$

OK AS ROOT:
-----------
bash-2.03$ su
Password:
EI-Tiger# ssh mrc-tiger.chipchat.com
root@mrc-tiger.chipchat.com's password:

Last login: Sat Sep  2 23:08:24 2000 from ei-tiger.chipcha
<snip MOTD>
mrc-tiger#

Origin machine (EI-Tiger)
-------------------------
EI-Tiger# uname -a
FreeBSD EI-Tiger.ChipChat.ne.jp 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0:
  Wed Aug 30 00:43:35 JST 2000
  mrc@EI-Tiger.ChipChat.ne.jp:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KOGA
  i386

Destination machine (mrc-tiger)
mrc-tiger# uname -a
  FreeBSD mrc-tiger.ChipChat.com 3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0:
  Wed Feb 23 18:23:00 GMT 2000
  mrc@Piman-Orange.ChipChat.com:/usr/src/kame/freebsd3/sys/compile/KOGA
  i386

LIBRSAINTL installed on EI-Tiger (in Japan)