Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2014 07:56:03 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>, imp@freebsd.org, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD BSD License 3 -> 2 Clause History

--Apple-Mail=_B2B21FB8-3E68-4D9E-A72D-25567EAFCE1B

<CAD2Ti2-=3DcUmABeDMFpuSvHp_h0PUXZTF6J-2TdiKi+nsRfskUA@mail.gmail.com>
> , grarpamp writes:
>=20
>> The change in question, from 3 to 2 clause, is here in Dec 1999:
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/COPYRIGHT?r1=3D50978&r2=3D124033
>>=20
>> Next step is to ask imp/phk, and search the FreeBSD lists around
>> that time for context as to why.
>=20
> I think you are reading more into that commit than it contains:
> It merely asserted "Copyright of Compilation" over FreeBSD.
>=20
> The compilation copyright does not 'infect' the copyrights of all
> the individual works it is composed of, it only protects, as for
> instance the US copyright law says:
>=20
>    1) The collection and assembly of pre-existing material, facts, or  =
data;
>=20
>    2) The selection, coordination, or arrangement of those materials; =
and
>=20
>    3) The creation, by virtue of the particular selection,
>       coordination, or arrangement of an original work of authorship.
>=20
> As I remember this event, it was more about being able to defend
> the name and trademark FreeBSD than anything else, and it happened
> as response to the trademark finally getting back to the project
> after the WC/IX/WR saga.
>=20
> However, I should caution that I was out of core for a couple of years
> when this finally transpired, so I was not privy to core@'s =
deliberationso
>=20
> Neither the core monthly or project quarterly reports mention it.

I was in core at the time, and it was about that time we started to =
cleanup
the licenses in general. The two-term COPYRIGHT was changed to reflect
the most-favored license in the tree, and the one that we wanted people
to start using. Around the same time, there were a number of other =
license
changes after individual authors were contacted about removing the other
clauses. It had less to do with the trademark issues, though that was =
also
added to the COPYRIGHT file around the same time.

It was about this time that GPL=E2=80=99d programs started disappearing =
from the
tree as well. It has been a long progress, but we=E2=80=99re finally =
getting close
to kicking out gcc, binutils and maybe gdb, while still maintaining a =
full,
integrated build either with the new clang or an external toolchain =
(though
the latter still needs a few more pieces to fall into place).

Warner