Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:40:44 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting from Promise tx2000

On Monday 24 February 2003 2:52, someone, possibly Len Conrad, typed:
> fbsd 4.7 release
>
> no drives on motherboard ata channels
>
> one ATA Master drive on each TX2000 IDE channel  (no Array is defined, we
> just want two independent disks for now)
>
> fbsd cdrom boots, finds the disks and installs fbsd.
>
> we choose boot manager because we typically have our system fail to boot
> without boot manager (fbsd 3 and 4 has has this pb) so we always install
> boot mgr and live with the additional timeout.
>
> booting never gets to fbsd boot mgr menu.
>
> we=B4ve disabled a bunch mobo i/o devics we don't need and can see no PCI
> IRQ conflicts.
>
> any ideas?

If your BIOS supports this, try setting the boot device in CMOS=20
configuration to SCSI Boot Device. The problem is that the offboard ATA=20
controller you are using has its own BIOS, thus the system BIOS will not=20
boot a disk attatched to it. Setting SCSI boot device will mostly make your=
=20
BIOS offer to hand booting over to what ever device offers to take it. Most=
=20
(modern) ATA controllers respond to the call for a "SCSI boot device" and=20
take controle, then booting the system from the hard drives they own.

Will

=2D-=20
Willie Viljoen
=46reelance IT Consultant