Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:34:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Courier from ports without FAM? or securing FAM.

Got courier working, however it keeps getting built with FAM even though I
told the port not to use it.

Looking at the makefile I saw
.if defined(WITH_FAM) || exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libfam.so)
CONFIGURE_ENV= CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include" \
                LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS+=      -L${LOCALBASE}/lib
LIB_DEPENDS+=  fam.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/fam
.endif

So I commented them all out.. still built with FAM. :-(

Unforntunately I had FAM already installed and it seems the port compiles
against it if present.. even after commenting the lines above.

If it will be easier to keep it then I would like to secure it.
Could not find on the archives what would be the best way to keep
FAM/portmaper (which seems is needed for FAM) secure.

Anyone familiar with Courier could comment on how usefull is FAM for
users? Is it worth the trouble/security risk?