Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:03:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree 4.0.1_3 different from 3.3.6 in authentification

Dear Sirs.

I have a problem with XFree and some diskless stations.
Both servers are running FreeBSD 4.2-BETA in conjunction with
XFree86-4.0.1, the diskless X11 stations are running also
FreeBSD 4.2-BETA and XFree86 4.0.1_3 as got from the ports
collection. Only one machine is running FreeBSD 4.2-BETA
in conjunction with XFree86 3.3.6 due an very old graphics
accelerator card from Hercules, which is not supported by
XFree86 4.

Well, the phenomenon is the following.

I set up a server running xdm and offering chooser for a
connecting terminal. This works well, I see all system offering
displays I want to be get connections to. When trying to connect
to one of the offered terminals the display on the client does
a kind of reset as I clicked on restart and chooser is reinitializing.
On both machines running FreeBSD 4.2 and XFree 4 I obtain the same
phenomenon. On the machine offering XFree 3.3.6 chooser I do not have any
kind of trouble. I can select a host from the list and get a display
immediately. And curious is: I can obtain displays from those hosts
which did not offer me a display prior when selecting them from a
XFree 4 chooser ... :-(

Any host mentioned above running XFree 4 offers me without problems
a display when doing a direct query, but not when doing an indirect
query. So it seems not to be a problem of firewalling or anything
else, it seems to be some kind of weirdness of xdm. I thought it
could be some kind of authetication trouble, but why can I obtain
a display by direct querying when it is really a problem in
authentication?

Please help ...

Oliver

-