Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 18:44:43 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Ken Brownfield <kenb@irridia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O crushes Ethernet I/O (3.0R)

Ken Brownfield wrote:

> Karl Pielorz:

> |Are you using DMA with the IDE drive? (and are you _sure_ your using DMA with
> |the IDE drive? :)
>
> Do you mean within the mobo BIOS, or an "optional" kernel option?  If the
> former, I'm pretty sure it's cranked up.  If the latter, I don't know.
> (Where's a good place to get flags info for the wd driver?)

AFAIK to get the real benefit you need it enabled in the BIOS, and you need to
set the flags correctly for wdc0/wdc1 accordingly (see the LINT kernel
config).

> Yes, I'm a SCSI zealot myself, but even given IDE it shouldn't completely
> crush network throughput -- it doesn't hurt other operating systems at
> all...
>
> If the 3.1R upgrade and IRQ/BIOS tweaking doesn't solve it, I'll probably
> upgrade to SCSI.

Did you see my question re. How are you measuring this? - i.e. if your system
only has 1 drive, you can't expect great throughput if your cp'ing say a 300Mb
file from that drive to another file on that _same_ drive, as well as ftp'ing
another large file to/from a remote machine via the _same_ drive? :-)

-Kp