Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:53:51 -0600
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        znerd@FreeBSD.ORG, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/32223: Port databases/mysql-jdbc-mm is quite outdated

"Koster, K.J." wrote:
> > I spent the day battling with jdk1.1.8, ant, and javavm and
> > finally got a working mysql-jdbc-mm port which builds 2.0.8
> > from source.

I was in a bit too much of a rush when I put this together, so
the 'install' bits aren't quite right.  I'll fix things up
tomorrow and, rather than re-spamming everyone with the new
version, I'll send out a URL to the revised port.

> > The battle would have been a bit easier, by the way, if the
> > 'ant' port was built from source so I didn't have to fetch
> > and build it myself in order to debug some 'ant'-related
> > problems :-)
> >
> %-/ What's wrong with Ant, please? Something we need to feed back into the
> Ant development team?

The biggest problem was that it tries to hide too much of what
it's doing.  In order to figure out what was happening, I had
to insert System.out.println() in a bunch of places.  (I eventually
figured out that part of the build was failing because the build.xml
file for mysql-jdbc-mm hard-codes path separators as ';' instead of
':', so ant was silently trying to run 'javac -classpath foo;bar *.java'
which, in the FreeBSD world, is two commands separated by a semicolon)

I did submit one patch for 'ant' (as well as one for 'javavm')
but neither of those is needed to build mysql-jdbc-mm.

> Whoa, that's huge. Make sure you submit it to the original developers too.

Actually most of the patches take out J2EE support (which we don't
have in any ports right now, anyway) and Microsoft-isms (like using
';' for a path separator)

It might be nice to restructure the sources to use ant's knowledge
of the build environment to selectively provide access to some APIs
(for example, javax.naming.* is in 1.3.x but not in 1.2.x) but I
have a feeling that it'd be a big job and a nightmare to maintain.