Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:42:28 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jason Corcoran" <jason@corcoran.tc>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mustek Flatbed Scanner.

Jason Corcoran <jason@corcoran.tc> types:
> List,
>
> I have checked the handbook, but I was just wondering, during the boot process
> my USB mustek scanner is recognised. Is there any was to capture from this
> device. This would cut my reasons for booting into Windows down to 2 ( Watch
> DVD, no hardware  decoder and Quake 3 still can't get my Voodoo 3 to work !! )
> :o)

Note that just listing the scanner isn't enough. The USB driver
"recognizes" everything, and provides hooks to access the USB device
directly. This may not be sufficient for all purposes :-(. Does it
recognize it as "uscanner0", or as "ugen0"?

The sane (Scannes Are Now Easy) port is the recommended FreeBSD
scanner package. The USB scanner driver lists the Mustek 1200CU,
600CU, 1200USB and 1200UB. I suspect those will all work with SANE.

I'm quite happy with SANE and my (SCSI) scanner, though next time I'm
going to buy USB. The GIMP even notices I've got the thing, and will
acquire images from it.

	<mike