Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 01:20:22 +0200
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmz@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86-4 on alpha

(Cc to the maintainer of our XFree86-4 port.)

After an aborted attempt in the days of 4.0.1, I finally decided
to switch to XFree86 4.0.3 on my box (PC164, Matrox Mystique,
5.0-CURRENT).  Short summary of my results:

- The x11/XFree86-4 ports builds fine.

- xdm still dumps core when queried by an X display.  This means
  you cannot use an alpha to manage X terminals, i.e. you cannot
  log into an alpha from an X display.  (Depending on individual
  work habits that ranges from "huh?" to very bad.)

- The mga driver occasionally produces garbage on the display and,
  what's much worse, hangs completely.  You can SIGKILL it, but
  that leaves the console in an unusable state.

My current stopgap solution is to run the solid XF86_SVGA server
from 3.3.6 along with the rest of XFree86 4.0.3.