Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 11:45:58 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Cc:        bill@cdrom.com, webbies@advocacy.freebsd.org
Subject:   press release

--------------F8793AE50CA1817979C097E6

Wolfram, here's a new press release we put out. I'm not sure who's still
working on advocacy.freebsd.org, so I'm sending this to you.

Bill, you're cc'd in case you have access.
--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media

NEWS RELEASE

  BSD Community Welcomes Apple's New Open Source Operating System

Concord, CA, June 7, 1999: Today, at the start of the UNIX development
community's  annual Usenix  convention, operating  system influentials
embraced  Apple  Computer's  Darwin  (www.apple.com/darwin) as  a  new
member of  the Berkeley  Software Distribution (BSD)  operating system
family.

"We're  very  pleased  to   have  Apple's  participation  in  the  BSD
community," said  Jordan Hubbard, chairman of  the USENIX convention's
Freenix track  and co-founder of  the FreeBSD Project. "As  more smart
businesses discover the incredible free resource that is BSD software,
they'll  realize that contributing  to open  source development  is in
their best interest."

According to Herb Peyerl of  the NetBSD Project, "Our interaction with
Apple on  the Darwin project  has been extremely rewarding  for NetBSD
and is  the kind  of open cooperation  of which  we would like  to see
more."

"Leveraging the  twenty-year BSD  heritage allows Apple  developers to
concentrate on  adding a unique  user experience to the  solid, robust
foundation  of  the  BSD  code,"  according to  Avie  Tevanian,  Apple
Computer's senior vice president  of Software Engineering. "We believe
that by embracing  the open source movement with  our Darwin software,
the  result will  be better  products  for millions  of Mac  customers
worldwide.  The  BSD  code in  Darwin  is  an  essential part  of  our
operating system strategy."

This  type of  reciprocation  is  a return  to  the original  software
development model that  was universal in the early  days of computing,
before PCs.  Wilfredo Sanchez, technical lead for  the Darwin Project,
will  speak  on Darwin  at  this week's  Freenix  track,  a series  of
programs at  Usenix devoted  exclusively to this  sort of  open source
software development.

About NetBSD and FreeBSD

NetBSD and FreeBSD are open source operating systems based on the last
public release of BSD UNIX,  4.4BSDLite2. Each effort has kept up with
the    latest     technologies    in    processors     and    software
architectures. While having  different priorities, the BSD development
teams share a friendly competitive  rivalry, spurring each other on to
produce  better product  for their  worldwide users.  Over  the twenty
years  of development,  a huge  base  of software  has been  developed
around  BSD  --  including  much  of the  Internet  infrastructure  --
enabling  the  OS to  be  used  effectively  in almost  any  computing
application. The  open development model  means there are  no secrets,
creating  a worldwide  understanding  of the  code  which enables  BSD
developers to  build on  the efforts of  prior developers  without the
hassles endemic to proprietary operating systems and applications.

For More Information, Contact:

		The FreeBSD Project
		Concord, California
		925-682-7859