Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:44:57 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, "Joseph Gleason" <clash@zogbe.tasam.com>
Cc:        "Adam Nealis" <adamnealis@yahoo.co.uk>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using ipfw pipes for bandwidth management - can it allow for "bursting"?

I didn't say the dummynet man page has all answers, but it is somewhere to
look.

The only thing I can find is this from the ipfw page:

     red | gred w_q/min_th/max_th/max_p
             Make use of the RED queue management algorithm.  w_q and max_p
             are floating point numbers between 0 and 1 (0 not included),
             while min_th and max_th are integer numbers specifying
thresholds
             for queue management (thresholds are computed in bytes if the
             queue has been defined in bytes, in slots otherwise).  The
             dummynet(4) also supports the gentle RED variant (gred).  Three
             sysctl(8) variables can be used to control the RED behaviour:

             net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_lookup_depth
                     specifies the accuracy in computing the average queue
                     when the link is idle (defaults to 256, must be greater
                     than zero)

             net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_avg_pkt_size
                     specifies the expected average packet size (defaults to
                     512, must be greater than zero)

             net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_max_pkt_size
                     specifies the expected maximum packet size, only used
                     when queue thresholds are in bytes (defaults to 1500,
                     must be greater than zero).