Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:51:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Neil Ludban <n-ludban@onu.edu>
To:        Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI controller

Hi,

I'm using one of these cards in my computer.  You shouldn't have any
problems as long as you're using or installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 or later.

The chip used is actually a 53c875j, and for some unknown reason Symbios
used a different ID for it.  FreeBSD prior to 2.2.5 did not know about it,
so the install floppy will not work.

A few weeks ago (just before 2.2.5 came out) I was trying to get this to
work and got some suggestions from the -hackers mailing list.  These are
modifications to the driver code in sys/pci/ncr.c, and require rebuilding
the kernel.

Simplest way (but then the plain 875 won't be detected):

> Just replace the line reading:
> #define NCR_875_ID      (0x000f1000ul)
> by:
> #define NCR_875_ID      (0x008f1000ul)

Or, if you have some programming knowledge:

> The 53c875j has a different ID than the 53c875.  If you add that ID to
> the appropriate switch statements in sys/pci/ncr.c, you'll be fine,
> assuming you have some other way to do a 2.2.2 install.  The latest code
> has these defines:
>    #define NCR_875_ID	     (0x000f1000ul)
>    #define NCR_875_ID2     (0x008f1000ul)
> so you should be able to work this out from that.

These will allow you to use the 875j under an older version of FreeBSD if
you have already installed on a different disk or have a different way to
install (like borrowing a controller or moving the disk to a different
computer).  The ncr code got some improvements in 2.2.5 and supports both
chips at full speed, so you may want to upgrade anyway.

As an additional note, I haven't been able to find any drivers (from
Diamond or Symbios) to support the 875j under Dos or NT 3.51.

	--Neil