Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:03:50 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        chuck@ucsd.edu, ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: In support of advocacy...

At 12:00 PM 11/28/98 -0800, Chuck Rouillard wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, ADRIAN Filipi-Martin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Chuck Rouillard wrote:
>>

>> > [chop]
>> >
>> > In the couple of months I've been on advocacy, the dreamers, poets,
>> > and armchair quarterbacks seem to have lots to say about FBSD.
>> > Apparently, 'advocacy' is a cornucopia for issues and well-intended
>> > solutions(sans any strategy for implementation).
>> >
>> > Of course, as much as I anticipate any number of tips, ideas, or
>> > occasional successes in support of FBSD, I see very little except
>> > from, say, Greg(Lehey).
>> >
>> > Let's see some real *SUPPORT* for FBSD!  Hell, I work for a company
>> > with it's own UNIX.  Staff developers have free access to it and I
>> > still managed to get 3 people in my group to go out and buy 2.2.7
>> > and build cable-modem gateways in their homes.
>>
>> 	Hey, just because we don't brag about each convert or satisfied
>> customer that now has a FreeBSD box, doesn't mean we aren't out there
>> promoting FreeBSD.  I've got a number of significant local area wins over
>> the last four to five years.
>>
>> 	I'm not saying that more couldn't be done.  Just that what is
>> being done is somewhat underrpresented/understated.... sounds like *BSD
>> advocacy in general...
>>
>> 	I guess we could develop some ascii art tokens to represent how
>> many kill each of us has and tack them onto our sigs like fighter pilots
>> and their planes.  ;-)
>

>You're right.  My 'example' suggests I'm looking for brag sheets.  I'm
>not.  Instead, and in the spirit of advocacy, I was hoping to such things
>as:
>
>o  "X company is planning on a new UNIX network.  What are some of
>    better selling points of FreeBSD against, say, SCO, Sol?"
>
>o  "We don't have a SIG in our (community|town|city|state|country),
>    has anyone started one and how did you go about it?"
>
>o  "We have a local computer rag and I was consider doing a promo.
>    Anyone here had experience with this?"
>
>o  "I am considering writing SCSI support for the SYMBIOS chip set
>    and was wondering if anyone else had similar interests or had
>    heard of others involved with this?"
>
>o  "My (college|university|alma mater) offers software to students at
>    substantial discount.  I'd like to get then to offer FBSD as well.
>    Anyone done this before?  Whom do I tell them to call?"
>
>Don't bother addressing any of the bulletized questions; they're
>contrived and we all know it.  The point is to establish a productive
>dialog that promotes the use and widespread appeal of FBSD.
>
>I believe one of the keys to being a good advocate for something is
>understanding it's stengths and weaknesses within and amongst its
>peers(if any).  Notice the few responses Greg(Lehey) is getting in
>his recent appeals.
>
>BTW: Laugh all you want, but I like Adrian's "ascii art tokens". :->

A FAQ wouldn't be too bad I guess.  Something for people that says "Well
I'm running this thing, I like it, I'm not paying for it, so what can I do
to promote it?"..

Wasn't there an ASCII around that said Powered By FreeBSD and had the
daemon in it?  I'd imagine it's pretty large to use in a sig, but
considering some of my other ones.... :-)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us