Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:38:16 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in logs

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> There was a lot of discussion about this some months back. The
> consensus (which I didn't agree with) was that EIO should still be
> propagated at early warning (the EOM bit in Sense Data- not the
> VOLUME OVERFLOW which is hard physical EOT) rather than using a
> (possibly deferred) residual count to an I/O operation to provide
> the signification.

Btw., i don't agree to this either, and we've had this before.  If
some data have been written, a `short write' should be returned to the
application, and no error set (yet - unless the application attempts
to continue writing).  Only iff no data have been written at all, an
error should be flagged (and that was my part of a compromise in a
previous discussion with Justin -- i originally thought an error
should never be flagged, just a `0 return', but i agree i've been
wrong in this).

Fixing this will automatically unbreak dump -a or multivolume tar.

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de       http://www.interface-business.de/~j