Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:26:01 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Michael Shimko <shimko@maui.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting audio cdroms

Hello,

I'm afraid you can't mount an audio CD. CD players like xcdplayer use
the CD-ROM drive itself to generate sounds : they do not read the
digital data on the CD to pass it along to /dev/audio.

If you want to read the CD-audio tracks, you must use a "ripper" and a
recent version of FreeBSD (there are some in the ports/audio section) :
the ripper drives the CD-ROM and uses specific ioctl's to read .wav's on
your hard disk. You can then either play these files directly, or you
can convert them to other formats (like mp3s)

	TfH

PS : any taker for a "mount_audio" ? (that would be neat)

Michael Shimko wrote:

> I  want to mount audio cds  so that I can load the tracks into xmms,
> previously x11amp.
>
> I have xcdpalyer and it works fine  with device=/dev/wcd0c.  And, I
> don't have to mount it.
>
> xmms works fine with everything but my cd player!????.  I've tried
>
> I can't mount audio cdroms using 'mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom'.  What
> should I use?????
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Shimko

Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>