Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:33:18 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>, dhw@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to check out ports

On 2 October 2012 12:23, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> Are we supposed to be using cvs or svn to check out ports now?  If cvs, I'm
> getting prompted for a password which fails.

There are a lot of answers to this question, and things are in the
midst of changing.

The as close to official answer as possible is:

- use portsnap for most use cases
- use svn directly if you need custom patches to the ports tree
- use CTM if you prefer getting patches by email (this is a rarer use case)
- I'm not certain about the status if ports-mtm/portshaker - but it
should be using one of the first two methods.

everything else: cvsup, csup, CVS is *going away* and is considered a
*legacy* method. If you don't already use them, don't start.

please keep in mind that this is all in flux at the moment and even
the handbook may be *wrong.*  The ports and documentation team are
working hard to get this all sorted out, but it is a time of change.
:)

--
Eitan Adler