Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:32:01 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is ZFS native encryption safe to use?

On 8/23/23 03:02, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:

Hello.
Just my 2c...

> There seems to be a bit of open (and rather old) ZFS native encryption
> bugs which still haven't been fixed and it doesn't look like it is
> something that is being working on.
>
> Last night I was going to move some important files from an unencrypted
> dataset to a new encrypted (ZFS native) one, but then got my doubts
> about doing that (looking at all the different open GitHub issues on
> OpenZFS).

Could you please provide links to these discussions/bugs?

> What is the general experience running with ZFS native encryption on
> FreeBSD?

I'm using it on three machines with no issues so far.

> Is it better to use GELI for the whole pool instead?

If possible, I prefer GELI.

However, I want to be able to let the machine boot without having to
type a passphrase, SSH in and activate the encrypted partitions/dataset.
In the past I used to have two partitions (a "plain" one for a non
encrypted pool and a GELI one for the encypted pool); however this fixes
the sizes of the two pools and leads to some hassle when one might get
full while the other still has space; so I'm moving to a single ZFS pool
with some encrypted datasets.

  bye
	av.