Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:13:01 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is the latest "known-good" PXE build ?

Hello,

I'm trying to use the pxeboot loader from 4.2-RELEASE, to diskless
boot some rack-mount PCs.

Using documentation from Alfred Perlstein and Mike Smith, I've configured
a DHCP server and a tftp server, and I'm still having problems
with at least one machine not being able to start each time it is powered on :
BTX halts (sometimes it is "Stack underflow", some other times, it goes to
a register crash dump, with eip often equal to ffffff - I'm going to redirect the BIOS
output to a serial port)

the configuration of the server must be correct as the diskless machine
sometimes can start (it loads pxeboot and the kernel via tftp, and then
the rest of the partitions via NFS).

The BIOS trace says the PXE is revision 2.0, build 68 : is there some other,
perhaps better version of it ? (the on-board NIC on the machine is an fxp)

     TfH

PS : As I've seen, rc has been modified to get rid of "early_nfs_mounts". After
this change, the rc.diskless2 does no longer work, as this script uses
/usr/bin/find and /usr is not yet mounted.