Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:20:57 +0200
From:      Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr
To:        "Jeff Wilson" <wilson@vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Thinkpad 360CE

 |My biggest problem turned out
 |to be replacing the kernel in the bin.tgz with the kernel that I had built.
 |It's a simple tar operation, but I had to find about 40 meg of free disk space
 |to work with the file!

Another way to do this is to simply install the original bin-dist, and
to install a fake one (only containing the modified kernel) afterwards.
It will simply overwrite the kernel from the original bin-dist.

 |Now, what I would like to know is: are scancode 2 keyboards going to be
 |supported in 2.1, or will I have to go through this all again when I upgrade?

I went through this with 2.0 and 2.0.5 :-(  I know that pcvt is able
to detect the keyboard type automatically, so in theory, it should
be possible to have a boot-floppy and a bin-dist that both use pcvt,
and work on all(?) systems. Unless there is a specific reason why pcvt
can't replace the syscons driver of course...

 |Jeff Wilson
 |amazed to be running a great UNIX system on a little laptop with 4 meg of RAM!

Wait until you get some more RAM in there, I went from 4 to 12MB, and
that sure makes a big difference!

	Gert-Jan

J.G. Vons, Oce engineering Creteil, France | E-mail: Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr