Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:59:26 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.via-net-works.net.ar>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAM and quotas

Hello:
	Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this, but I
think it's on-charter.

	I want my POP3 and FTP users to authenticate via an SQL
database (Postgress). Reasons:

-I want to add/delete users in a transactional way.
-Centralized management.
-Protection in case of malconfiguration from users forwarding ports
via ssh.

	My first move was to try to make my pop3d and ftpd (wu-ftpd,
but I can change it if needed) to use a dbm. The idea was to recreate
the dbm from scratch on each change of the SQL. I can handle the
overhead. But a problem arise: If the user is not on /etc/passwd he
can't have quotas (or am I wrong here?) and I need them.

	So I thought I could use PAM instead by fetching from somewhere
(or writing) a PAM-SQL module. But the problem remains: is there a way
I can make quotas and PAM work together?

	Any help/pointer will be very apretiatted?

	Thanks and regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.