Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:54:40 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 02:24:03PM -0600, Peter Stapley wrote:
> I am running a TyanS1696DLU Thunder 2 ATX with 1 PII 266
> I am getting a panic here.
>
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz
> Timecounter "TSC" frequency 266443610 Hz
> CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (unknown-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x634 Stepping = 4
>   Features=alot of stuff here
> panic: CPU Class not configured

Like I said before, you need the following in your kernel config
file (and of course, recompile and install the new kernel):

> > in your kernel config file:
> >
> > machine         i386
> > cpu             I686_CPU

You're missing the second statement. FreeBSD insists that you
specify it.

p.s. you asked if you should compile an SMP kernel with one
processor. Well, if you have an SMP board with only one processor
installed you can either:

1. Compile your kernel without SMP.

2. Compile your kernel with the following config lines:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
options        NCPU=1                  # number of CPUs

I haven't actually tried this myself (I run both processors, so
NCPU=2 for my system) but this should let your kernel use the APIC
(advanced programmable interrupt controller or something along these
lines ;) which is probably good even if you have only one processor.

--
Nimrod.
http://www.geocities.com/rodd_27