Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:50:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Robin Hall <rob33_me@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device not configured

> Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:36:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robin Hall <rob33_me@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Thank you all for your help on getting into the
> newsgroup. I should learn to read more and keep my
> foot out of my mouth. My real problem I have been
> trying to read about but I can't find a particular
> information. I have gone through the book and still
> can't find anything. I have been able to set up my
> network and get FreeBSD installed without to many
> difficulties. The only problem I am having is with my
> modem. It is an AOpen internal hardware modem. I have
> been using it with linux for the last two years. It is
> set up to work on cuaa2. If I try to set it to use any
> other port it just says the chat-script failed but if
> I set it up on the correct port it is giving the
> error: Failed to open /dev/cuaa2: device not
> configured.  Is there something I am supposed to do to
> configure this? When I use /stand/sysinstall it
> doesn't even give me the option to use this port. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

For device errors like this, it's always a good idea to post the
output of dmesg showing the boot time device probe. In this case, the
issue is the sio devices. The other thing to look at is whether
/dev/cuaa2 exists on your system, but this device is made by default,
so I suspect it is there.

While it might not be relevant, including your kernel configuration
might not be a bad idea, unless you are still running GENERIC.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)