Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2013 06:58:30 -0500
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: portmaster -w -r (pcre & icu): how to avoid redundant rebuilding?

> On 01/22/13 06:26, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> >I see in the UPDATING file that I need to rebuild all ports that depend on
> >pcre and icu:

> >portmaster -w -r pcre
> >and
> >portmaster -w -r icu
> >(I don't need -f ?)

> >How do I do this without rebuilding the same ports twice?

> >I am on pkgng, so I can use
> >pkg info -r icu
> >and same for pcre to list ports depending on icu and pcre (long lists).

> >I just updated, from source, to:

> >FreeBSD amelia2 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #14 r245542: Tue Jan 22
> >03:00:31 UTC 2013     root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64

> >Tom

> I've not had any luck with avoiding redundant rebuilding as pcre and icu
> updates aren't sent out at the same time. Perhaps someone can say if I'm
> off my rocker, has anyone tried issuing 'portmaster -w -r icu pcre'?
> Perhaps that would avoid the redundant rebuilds?

> Of course that would only work if one waits for both updates to come out.

> --
> Yours in Christ,

> Joseph A Nagy Jr

I could possibly make lists of ports that depend on pcre and icu using

pkg info -r icu (and also pcre, redirecting to files)

Then I could try
portmaster -w -r icu -r pcre
or do I need to use -w twice?

Then I could see what ports it would build, say n when asked if I wanted to rebuild those ports, assuming there would be config dialogs along the line.

Then I would run the portmaster command again with |& tee portm.log at the right end, see if I like what would be built before answering y.

I would be able to login to another virtual terminal to examine portm.log file at the early stage when asked whether to rebuild the ports.

Tom