Date:      Tue,  6 Apr 1999 19:05:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Christian Jensen <Christian.Jensen@cs.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing FreeBSD (3.1-RELEASE)

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade an NT machine to FreeBSD, but I experience the
following problem: Install of 3.1-RELEASE hangs after initial
configuration/probing devices.

The hardware is:

P6B40-A4X Motherboard with a 300MHz Pentium processor
4 IDE Units, all autodetected
   Primary bus
      Quantum Fireball EX3.2A (Master)
      IOMEGA 100 ZIP drive (Slave)
   Secondary bus
      Quantum Fireball EL5.1A (Master)
      Phillips CDROM drive (Slave)
   NB I have tried connecting the EL5.1A as the only unit on the
      primary IDE bus, but it has the same problem.
SMC Ultra Ethernet card (It is an old card, and I don't know much
   about it, but the string 83C790QF is prominently printed on the
   chip, so I guess it is the type.
Intel i740 graphics adapter
Soundcard (ESS 1869)
Keyboard and mouse (2 button PS/2)

I have tried the followin Installation procedure.

I have downloaded the install floppies with FTP (not netscape) from
ftp.uk.freebsd.org, and copied them to floppies using the command:
fdimage (kern.flp|mfsroot.flp) a:

I boot from the kern.flp, and inserts the mfsroot.flp when prompted
for it. I see an error-message "zf_read: fill error", but I don't know
if that is important.

I then configure the kernel in full screen mode. I remove support for
the following drivers: all SCSI adapters, all CDROM adapters and the
wt0 driver. I also remove all network cards except the SMC (I
configure it with the values obtained from NT, i.e. IRQ 10, I/O base
0x300 and Memory base 0xCC000.

The installation program recognizes all the devices before it hangs.

The last two lines that are output to the console are:

   changing root device to fd0c
   rootfs is 2880 Kbyte compiled in MFS

I hope that someone is able to help me or suggest things I can do to
get out of this impasse.

Christian

PS I have also tried downloading the single floppy for the
(2.2.8-RELEASE) installation, but it hangs in approximately the same
place (after configuring the kernel). Chr.
Christian Damsgaard Jensen         EMAIL: Christian.Jensen@cs.tcd.ie
Department of Computer Science     PHONE: +(353) 1 608 24 59
O'Reilly Institute
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2, Ireland