Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 10:57:52 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel compile 'feature' of new SNAP

In the quest to make the kernel compile out of the source tree w/out
using the system includes, we have made it more difficult (and
confusing) for people who want to build custom kernels.  A user send me
email late last night complaining he couldn't build a kernel.
Apparently it died during a make depend cause it couldn't find <stdio.h>.

Everything worked fine on my box, so I wan't sure why it didn't work until
I looked at the Makefile.  The line
INCLUDES= -nostdinc

makes it impossible for folks to do what they have always done, which is
to download the kerndist and build a custom kernel.  We either need to
document this (a good idea), or change the default behavior to use the
system includes.  I prefer the latter since most folks who will build
kernels are users and not developers, but I'm not the one making the
decision.

Would using an ENVIRONMENT variable be acceptable?

Current:
# Not ready for -I- yet.  #include "foo.h" where foo.h is in the srcdir fails.
INCLUDES= -nostdinc -I. -I$S -I$S/sys -I$S/../include

Proposed
# Not ready for -I- yet.  #include "foo.h" where foo.h is in the srcdir fails.
.if defined(SRC_INCLUDES)
INCLUDES= -nostdinc -I$S/../include
.endif
INCLUDES+= -I. -I$S -I$S/sys

What we did was remove the above parameters from the INCLDUES lines and
everything worked fine.

Nate