Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:23:10 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile Makefile.man pkg-plist pkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files patch-2 patch-c patch-c2 patch-d patch-f patch-i810 patch-j patch-k patch-mouse patch-r128 patch-r128dri patch-r128xmesa patch-shm ...

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 09:21:59PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:

> > I thought this was one of the main reasons this hadn't been done
> > earlier: i.e. finding a way to make the components build out of the
> > same source tree but register as separate ports.
>=20
> No, the main reason is because no one was willing to commit it.
> This particular problem has one possible solution that I haven't
> had time to test:
>=20
> DEPENDS_TARGET=3D	install clean
>=20
> ..added to every XFree86-4-* port.  Note that this will break if
> you use ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS=3Dyes.
>=20
> Any other solution (e.g. specifically specifying the target via
> *_DEPENDS, or breaking up the src tarballs further manually, or
> removing unneeded files after extraction, for each XFree86-4-*
> port) is almost certainly a hack.

How about some logic in the XFree86-4-* subports which searches the
other subports for an existing WRKSRC and uses that (i.e. the first
subport to build will extract a copy, but subsequent ones will not)?
Another possibility would be to make all of the subports use a common
WRKSRC directory. =20

I don't know the details of how the subports build only the relevant
bits, so you might also need a cleanup step as well to normalize the
contents of that WRKSRC.

Or you could just force the subports to do 'make clean' after
building, which would be less efficient than preserving the extracted
source, but possibly less fragile.

We do need some solution here though.

Kris

--huq684BweRXVnRxX