Date:      Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:14:13 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up: gtar gone from base system

> > What is the status of this bug?
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=76294
> >
> > [summary: certain gzipped tar files can't be untarred
> > correctly with -z flag but work fine if with gzcat|tar xvf -]
>
> In a similar vein, I just discovered that KDE's "ark" can no longer
> properly extract gzipped tar files:
>
> tar: unrecognized option `--use-compress-program=gunzip'
>
> Any chance of adding this option to bsdtar?

This is a different issue.  --use-compress-program is not
supported by bsdtar while -z is supported but broken for
certain inputs.  One would like see supported features work
as advertised but this bug has been around for a while and I
have to assume the fix is difficult or whoever is fixing does
not have enough free time.  Both are perfectly understandable
reasons!:-)

In this case may be it is easier to fix the port to use gtar?