Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 1997 00:53:38 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        cdillon@tri-lakes.net, arg@arg1.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problems with 16650 UARTs

At 08:49 PM 9/5/97 +0000, cdillon@tri-lakes.net wrote:

I've been working on an x86-specific, highly-tuned driver that's designed
to work only with permanently-attached '550 or better UARTs. (Right now, it
doesn't support shared IRQs, but I'm looking at ways to add this feature
without killing efficiency.)

The new driver uses code I developed years ago for the PC/AT, where timing
was everything. It enables interrupts only when the port isn't receiving,
and switches seamlessly to timer-driven polling when characters are
streaming in. Overhead is about the lowest it can be given the data
structures involved. (I'm using some code sequences that GCC never seems to
generate.) Will publish this when it gets closer to production quality, and
when I've got more confidence that I understand the kernel stuff.

--Brett

P.S. in anticipation of flames: I know that some folks will want (or need!)
to stay with sio, but this driver will be good for those who need
bleeding-edge speed on Intel platforms (e.g. ISPs using FreeBSD as a
zillion-port terminal server).