Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:34:16 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp mirror and mail relay changes at au.freebsd.org

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, David Dawes wrote:

> One surprise (to me) in the figures was the amount of incoming traffic
> that appears to be associated with our relaying of FreeBSD list email
> to .au sites.  This is the only significant source of incoming traffic
> that I can attribute to that particular IP address.  The total for those
> three months is about 2.4 GBytes (and represents about 10% of our total
> incoming traffic for that period).  Does anyone else have figures for
> this sort of thing, and if so, does this seem reasonable?  Anyway, a
> consequence of this is that I can't continue doing this relaying.  Can
> someone else volunteer to take over as the primary MX for
> mail.au.freebsd.org?  The current relays are:
>
> mail.au.freebsd.org.    12H IN MX       0 www.au.freebsd.org.
> mail.au.freebsd.org.    12H IN MX       10 gecko2.dialix.com.

I suggest someone approaches Telstra Internet, since they are the
ones who are charging 19c/MB - they won't mind relaying because it will
save them money (albeit a very small amount).

One other possibility which is probably not favoured is to set up a
compressed tunnel from hub to usyd.edu.au.  This can be done with
/usr/sbin/ppp or with ssh port forwarding.  This is likely to halve the
volume.

And thirdly, what about spreading the au load around, so there is more
than one MX 0 host?

Danny