Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:01:42 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good dual port NICs?

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:06:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: <up@3.am>

> Interesting, I had the *exact* same problem with an SMP kernel built on
> 4.6RC-1 with a Tyan Tiger's on-board 3C920c (3C905c driver).  It never
> occured to me that it might be linked to SMP in any way, so I just
> returned it and used an Intel L440GX.  May not be anywhere near as fast,
> but they always work...

3com cards may benchmark faster in some respects but in general they
also send more junk packets than any other major vendor's NICs.

Modern Intel NICs in general get good and often superior performance
ratings and are stable.  Last time I had significant problems with
Intel NICs was back in the ISA 10-megabit days. (Etherexpress 16, to
be exact)

I've occasionally had compatibility problems with the Intel (ie Intel
NIC couldn't be forced half-duplex), but I've had that with lots of
other stuff.  In the case of the Intel, it was with a cheapie
unconfigurable Netgear switch which could be a major part of the
problem.  (Whereas I've had problems with the 3coms and expensive
switches [HP Procurve 4000M] which couldn't be cured no matter what
settings I tried.  3com wouldn't work right at 10Mbit, had to run it
at 100Mbit.)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium